Torstar Corporation is a broadly based, progressive media organization listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TS.B) with a long, proud history in newspapers and a passion for capitalizing on the fluid world of digital and mobile media. You will join the Torstar Transformation Office in Toronto as it charts and navigates an intended course through present and emerging possibilities. Torstar will be energized by a deep customer-centric obsession, continued journalistic excellence, advanced data-driven competency and a culture that is selfless, focused, agile and collaborative. You’ll be a champion of those priorities while you leverage Torstar’s wealth of data to drive revenues for a company that is poised and positioned to lead in all of its media ventures.
The Project Management Office, within Group IT and the Transformation Office is responsible for the effective project management and delivery execution of transformation related projects and Group IT projects. The Sr Project Manager will be accountable for planning, managing, leading and motivating a cross functional team to implement projects in support of the Transformation Mandate. The project manager has the overall accountability to prepare, deliver and manage comprehensive project plans, issue management, risk identification and management, change management and resource management utilizing the GIT PMO stand PM best practices and methodology. In addition, they are responsible for communicating to project stakeholders including Torstar leadership team.
As a Senior Project Manager, this position is responsible to manage several projects concurrently and to take the project management ownership of a given project from initial project identification to hand off to Operations. The project manager will also be responsible to assist in the PMO/TMO department evolution and to transfer their PM knowledge/skills to other members within the organization.
- Provide leadership and direction to plan, manage and implement initiatives to enable Torstar to fulfill its business strategy effectively and efficiently, in a manner that is consistent with the Group IT, PMO methodologies and governance policies.
- Developing detailed work plans, project schedule and resource plans in conjunctions with project team members and the executive sponsor. Facilitate team input to develop program workbreadown structure and schedule
- Act as a single point of contact for all project related issues and escalations
- Actively manage plans, dependencies, scope, risks issues and quality and deliver projects in line with agreed upon overall project commitments
- Create and manage project budgets.
- Managing project scope. Investigating and making recommendation on issues that challenge scope boundaries
- Manages project risks, tracking risks and actively driving mitigation strategies
- Monitoring and reporting on project traction and progress and, as necessary, coordinating the development discussion and approval of corrective action and/or contingency plans
- Creating project status reports, highlighting critical issues for management and overall status of project
- Building and effectively managing multidisciplinary project teams
- Managing stakeholder relations to ensure that project delivery expectations are clearly defined and met.
- Driving and tracking change management work as project deliverables are rolled out
- Ensuring project activates and deliverable adhere to internal PMO quality and standards
- Providing clear direction and motivation to project teams
- Assisting in the continuous evolution of the PMO best practices and coach/mentor members of the team
- Manage vendor relationships where applicable
- Lead and facilitate structured and regular meeting as necessary for successful communications between all team members including Project Kick off Meeting, Executive Steering Committee meetings and Project status meetings.
- Develop and maintain all project documentation (Project plan, Issue and Action Logs, Risk Management, Project Status Reporting, Lessons Learned and Post Implementation Review’s
- Travel may be required
- Ensure that formal Project Management policies are adhered to, and projects are resourced adequately, establishing and managing budgets, proper tracking, and metrics
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Project Management Professional certification from Project Management Institute and/or 5-10 years of relevant experience.
- Prior experience delivery "ready for revenue" products and/or an asset. Digital project implementations an asset.
- Successful management of at least 2 large-size and 5 medium-size projects through all the stages of the project management life cycle.
- Demonstrated technical experience in IT or familiar with software development lifecycles, Agile methodologies
- Ability to work effectively with little or no supervision, minimal direction and frequent change
- Excellent interpersonal skills – able to work effectively with multiple levels of the organization
- Excellent decision making and problem-solving skills
- Organizational skills and ability to prioritize wide range of tasks
- Demonstrated and proven leadership skill set within a project management environment
- Proven application of PMI principles to projects
- Demonstrated excellence in team management, interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to adapt to new ideas and changing business dynamics without compromising the integrity of basic project management principles
Why You’ll LOVE Working Here…
- The opportunity to be part of an exciting company grounded in history while striving to be at the cutting edge of the digital media industry; you'll never get bored in our fast-paced, constantly evolving and challenging environment
- We recognize that you have a life outside of work and we offer you real work/life balance
- We provide individualized career plans and extensive ongoing development opportunities
- We've got your health in mind; you'll get a comprehensive benefits package & group RSP (Extended Health Care, Dental, etc.) combined with a generous vacation plan
…And let’s not forget the AWESOME PEOPLE!
The Company is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process to applicants with accessibility needs in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require an accommodation during this process, please inform The Company of your requirements.