In this role as Business Editor, you will develop the Star's coverage as a Centre of Excellence for all Torstar properties. You are continuously weighing editorial content, customer analytics, industry innovations and corporate goals. As Business Editor, you will use customer analytics to help direct both the work of reporters and columnists, and leverage the most effective use of partnership content such as that from The Wall Street Journal. You are keenly collaborative and thrive working with others in Editorial on new ideas and projects, planning and strategy, and with other managers outside of Editorial on initiatives to drive readership, subscriptions and revenue.
You pair your expertise in journalism and deep business industry knowledge, with others' expertise to produce the best outcomes; you understand and work with sometimes competing needs; and you are innovative in thinking about how best to use scarce resources to sustain a business model that addresses the digital realities of the media world. You are a strong leader who succeeds through constantly learning, adapting and providing a teaching/supportive environment to your staff as they in the midst of learning themselves.
As A Member Of Our HIGH PERFORMANCE Team You:
- Will be responsible for all business coverage, both digital and print, for the Toronto Star, and for developing the coverage as a centre of excellence for other Torstar daily papers and regional centres.
- Will oversee Star reporters, columnists and editors in the business department, and use customer analytics to help direct their news, feature and opinion coverage in a way that will meet customer needs and drive subscriptions.
- Will be the editorial coordinator of partnership content such as that from The Wall Street Journal, and use customer analytics to direct its most effective use.
- Will work with digital and print editors inside and outside the newsroom to ensure the smooth production of business content.
- Will work with other managers and departments in Editorial on content ideas, projects, planning and strategy.
- Will work with other managers and departments outside Editorial on initiatives to drive readership, subscriptions and revenue.
Why You Will Be Successful. You Have:
- At least 5 to 10 years of experience working in newsrooms, including experience in digital platforms and behaviours
- Superb news judgment; a strong journalistic foundation as a reporter or editor
- Strong editing and writing skills that lead to a conversational daily product that gives customers the sense of a one-to-one relationship with the Toronto Star
- Previous demonstrated experience and record of success in growing and engaging audiences
- Experience working on business outreach is an asset
- Experience creating, launching, and testing new products
- Knowledge of audiences and a curiosity to learn more about our target business segments
- A proven track record of working collaboratively and innovatively.
- Passion, energy and creativity. You are a strategic marketer who is inquisitive and pro-active in terms of ideas and innovation; who sees the bigger picture and prioritizes accordingly
- Driven leadership skills that can remove obstacles, make decisions and execute
- Excellent communication and people skills, especially working to align functional teams and multiple stakeholders
- A go-getter approach, with the ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects and tasks
- Relentlessly high standards; are detail-oriented and deadline-driven
Why You Will Love Working Here:
- The opportunity to be part of an exciting company grounded in history while striving to be at the cutting edge of the digital media industry; you'll never get bored in our fast-paced, constantly evolving and challenging environment
- We recognize that you have a life outside of work and we offer you real work/life balance
- We provide individualized career plans and extensive ongoing development opportunities
- We've got your health in mind; you'll get a comprehensive benefits package & group RSP (Extended Health Care, Dental, etc.) combined with a generous vacation plan
The Company is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process to applicants with accessibility needs in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require an accommodation during this process, please inform The Company of your requirements.