Digital producers are members of the digital department at the Toronto Star, whose goal is to package, enhance and promote Star journalism so that it makes a meaningful impact on our community and beyond, whether our stories are read on thestar.com, our newsletters, mobile app, social media or other platforms, both existing and emerging.
Working with editors and reporters across the newsroom, the Digital Producer will help identify and enhance material that has top story potential for a digital subscription environment, with a focus on thestar.com. Your strong news judgement and enhanced digital skills will help manage an engaging and lively homepage and social media feeds, giving our stories power and impact; your suggestions may extend to graphics, video, and social media. The Digital Producer reports to the Digital Editor.
The digital desk operates 24/7 and evening and weekend work will be required.
- When responsible for thestar.com homepage, curate and edit the lineup of thestar.com on desktop and tablet and mobile apps, optimizing the mix and range of that lineup with newsworthiness, our brand and audience, and reader engagement in mind.
- Produce and package stories in a creative and innovative way.
- Respond in real-time to changes in audience patterns on social media platforms with content tailored for each specific platform to ensure that content is attaining sufficient audience engagement.
- Offer new material off the news of the day – or in advance of the news – and suggest and implement creative ways to enhance The Star’s journalism.
- Align with SEO and social media best practices, the behaviour of our readers and visual appeal to grow audiences by compiling and analyzing data on our readers and share these lessons with colleagues for the purpose of shaping content.
- When required, track stories identified for enhanced attention, provide metrics so effectiveness can be measured, and big wins can be celebrated.
- With senior management and department heads, strategize and execute the most effective timing for story release and promotion, and help to coach your colleagues on same.
- Create and contribute to an environment of growth, demonstrate enthusiasm and support colleagues in their work.
- Uphold the core values of the Toronto Star and the Atkinson principles.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or equivalent experience.
- 3 or more years of experience in newsgathering and presentation at high-traffic news websites, demonstrating the skills, knowledge, and ability described above.
The Company is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process to applicants with accessibility needs in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require an accommodation during this process, please inform The Company of your requirements.