StarMetro is looking for an experienced reporter with the tenacity to push official sources and the skill to write compelling stories for readers in Calgary and Alberta. Reporting to the managing editor, the position is responsible for managing the newsroom in the managing editor’s absence. The ideal candidate will have excellent reporting and writing skills with experience coaching junior reporters and working as part of a fast-moving team.
- Managing the newsroom in the managing editor’s absence
- Generating unique story ideas rooted in a strong knowledge of Calgary and Alberta
- Digitally-focused reporting, including ability to write quick web versions of breaking news stories for thestar.ca, and using web analytics to understand reader demands
- Playing a leadership role in a young newsroom, coaching young reporters with story development and writing
- Assisting with managerial tasks like scheduling and working with freelancers
- Coverage of some early morning and evening assignments as needed
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in journalism
- 5 years of newspaper experience is a MUST
- Strong reporting skills and strong grasp of all areas of news and feature writing
- Well versed in CP style
- Ability to work to tight deadlines
- Must be an assertive self-starter with own vehicle
- Experience editing copy for print and digital
- Experience using social media tools and interpreting web analytics
Why You Will Love Working Here:
- The opportunity to be part of a company at the cutting edge of the media industry; you'll never get bored in our fast-paced, constantly evolving and challenging environment
- We recognize that you have a life outside of work and we offer you real work/life balance
- We've got your health in mind; you'll get a comprehensive benefits package (Extended Health Care, Dental, etc.) including a minimum of 3 weeks' vacation
…And let’s not forget the AWESOME PEOPLE!
Metro is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process to applicants with accessibility needs. If you require an accommodation during this process, please inform Metro of your requirements.