Frontend Developer - React + Node
Work with us
Torstar serves millions of readers per month across multiple channels, The Toronto Star being only one of many digital properties. To grow and evolve the team, we're looking for creative and hardworking leaders with a passion for problem solving in the challenging space of modern news media.
Work in a modern process
Our development team is full of smart people with oodles of experience building cool things. Many of us came to The Star from the start-up world, and we've brought that start-up mentality and culture right along with us. We have a lot of cool stuff to build.
Work in a world class organization
We’re looking for people who are interested in shaping the future of big media. We offer the opportunity to work with some of the finest development minds on the largest media sites in Canada, backed by a company that has been delivering content to its readers for more than a century.
What you'll do
● Strive to beautify user interfaces across a vast number of digital properties, each with different user needs
● Satisfy your passion for building intuitive and performant web experiences with your expertise in all modern web developmen technologies; you’ll not only help to ensure we adhere to industry best practices, but you will also help define our own standards
● Ensure our sites are highly efficient, performant and comprehensively cross-browser compatible; you’re knowledge and experience with known browser considerations will be put to the test
● Coordinate with team members to ensure project success
● Help the team identify and anticipate bottlenecks in application code and propose improvements
● Execute on organizational initiatives
We're looking for people with
● Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent work experience
● Minimum 3 years’ of modern web development experience
● Understanding of modern web development stacks including React.js, Redux, Next.js, Express.js, Node.js, ES6 and Webpack
● Experience working in an Agile development environment
● Experience optimizing for front-end performance, to be able to describe tools used to measure performance metrics
● Proficiency with developer tools and debugging techniques
● Experience with Git and Atlassian tools
● Working knowledge of CI/CD approaches and tools
● A sampling of projects and/or personal achievements
What we offer
● Competitive pay
● On-site gym & shower
● On-site bike parking
● Waterfront location
…And let’s not forget the AWESOME PEOPLE!
The Company is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process to applicants with accessibility needs in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require an accommodation during this process, please inform The Company of your requirements.