Developer, Data Engineering
A farseeing progressive media company with a long, proud history of delivering content to readers for over a century, and a passion for embracing the opportunities created by the rapidly evolving world of digital and mobile media.
The Data Engineering Team currently seeks a passionate professional to join us as a Data Engineering Developer. We are looking to expand our team by adding an individual who will provide end-to-end implementation support for ETL, analytics, process, and machine learning solutions. The ideal candidate will help to ensure stakeholder expectations are met, while writing and promoting the writing of high quality of code and ensuring production issues are quickly resolved with intelligent solutions.
What You Will Be Doing...
- Develop, solution, and troubleshoot cloud-based Data ingestion, processing, and analytics frameworks in an AWS environment
- Develop new solutions related to data analytics using a wide array of open sources libraries and Python, driving business value
- Review code and suggest robust and scalable solutions and provide clear trails for auditing
- Ensure development code is reviewed and tested carefully for scalability and accountability when promoting to production
- Review and document problems related to production and in-development code-based data pipelines and solutions
Who You Are…
- A passionate and focused technical leader who is collaborative and demonstrates aptitude and willingness to learn new technologies, methods and tools to solve complex business problems
- Inspired to design, develop and document the data engineering and ad technology roadmap, supporting enterprise-wide analytics for audience intelligence and client analytics.
- A compelling and clear communicator, able to craft a long-term vision, set goals to meet them and represent your team’s best work to stakeholders with varying levels of technical fluency.
- A team-oriented highly motivated contributor who is collaborative and demonstrates aptitude and willingness to learn new technologies, methods, and tools to solve complex business problems.
- Driven to build strong strategic partnerships with key data and analytics professionals as well as internal clients and stakeholders.
What You Will Bring To The Team…
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in computer science or engineering or relevant work experience
- 3+ years as a software developer, with a strong base in OOP and software development processes and concepts
- 1-2+ years experience with data focused development
- Knowledge of RDBMS, SQL, and noSQL.
- Experience writing high quality code in Python
- Hands on experience with any or all the following: Docker, Airflow, and Jenkins
- Experience with Hadoop/HDFS and Apache vendors and technologies such as: Cloudera, Hortonworks, Spark, Hive, Impala, Map Reduce, YARN, Airflow, Sqoop, etc.
- Experience building and optimizing technical environments in the cloud such as AWS, Azure or GCP
- Working knowledge of AWS Kinesis, Lambda, RDS, DynamoDB, EMR or related tool sets in other cloud environments
- Experience reviewing, improving, and debugging production-level issues with other’s code
- Experience in digital media is considered an asset
Why You’ll LOVE Working Here…
The opportunity to be part of an exciting company grounded in history while striving to be at the cutting edge of the digital media industry; you'll never get bored in our fast-paced, constantly evolving and challenging environment
- We recognize that you have a life outside of work and we offer you real work/life balance
- We provide individualized career plans and extensive ongoing development opportunities
- We've got your health in mind; you'll get a comprehensive benefits package & group RSP (Extended Health Care, Dental, etc.) combined with a generous vacation plan
…And let’s not forget the AWESOME PEOPLE!
The Company is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process to applicants with accessibility needs in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require an accommodation during this process, please inform The Company of your requirements.