General Manager, Local Pulse
The world of media – and community media in particular – is rapidly evolving. Torstar is doing exciting work to create the community's digital gathering place by bringing together local journalism, local organizations, municipalities, and residents. In addition to our current community strategies, our intent is to leverage technology to facilitate easier access to information, lower the threshold for user involvement in the community, and foster a stronger sense of togetherness.
Why We Need You:
We need a smart business leader who lives in the digital world and loves the energy of local community to help us drive this new strategy into action. Think start-up inside a larger organization – with the best of both environments.
What You Will Do:
- Lead execution of our strategy, scale the opportunity, ongoing strategy development
- Build a nimble team to make it happen
- Own the P&L and business model
- Lead business development efforts to secure community partners
- Partner with our product team on the overall technical product direction toward a great community experience
- Work with internal business partners to tap best in class subject matter expertise
- Lead partner relationships with key vendors, community partners and strategic enablers
- Learn continually as we scale and convert that learning into better, faster, stronger execution of our community vision
Who You Are:
- An energetic people person who thrives on finding great partners
- A change leader who loves to take new things and figure out how to make them work at scale
- A general manager in a digital environment – with some background in revenue generation and product development
- You can take a critical eye to trends and results to drive the business forward
- You don’t mind being on the road part of the time
- You bring experience in a media organization or in an organization facing massive disruption
- And finally, you are energized by the prospect of building new business opportunities in green fields
Why You’ll Love Working Here:
- The opportunity to be part of a farseeing progressive media company with a long, proud history of delivering content to readers for over a century, and a passion for embracing the opportunities created by the rapidly evolving world of digital and mobile media.
- Being at the cutting edge of the digital media industry; you'll never get bored in our fast-paced, constantly evolving and challenging environment.
- You’ll be proud to work at Torstar, because you can feel confident that the work you and your team does matters and reverberates throughout the communities we service.
- We’ve got your health in mind; you’ll receive a comprehensive benefits package which includes Extended Health Care, Pension Plan, Dental, etc.
- We recognize that you have a life outside of work and the importance of a work/life balance
…and let’s not forget the AWESOME PEOPLE!
The company is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process to applicants with accessibility needs in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require an accommodation during this process, please inform the company of your requirements.